Thursday, May 22, 2014

Asparagus, Mozzarella, and Basil Sandwich


What do you do when you have leftover baguette, mozzarella cheese, and basil left over from your tomato, basil, and mozzarella sandwich?  You replace the tomato with another vegetable: asparagus!


I think these ingredients made a beautiful, bright, and green sandwich.  I made my sandwich with frozen asparagus.  I heated them up in the microwave before adding them to the sandwich.  You could use fresh, but you'd need to cook it beforehand. 


I cut the asparagus to fit the baguette, added salt and pepper, and then layered on the mozzarella slices.




I baked the sandwiches for 5 minutes at 350 degrees before adding the fresh basil.


Good!  The asparagus is a little more difficult to bit through then the soft tomato, but I was manageable.


These types of sandwiches are good because you can fool yourself into thinking your eating vegetables instead of a chunk of bread and cheese.


It's a quick and nourishing meal for summer.  Two thumbs up!


I like how the asparagus stocks peak through the melted, gooey cheese.




No comments: