Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pretzel and Chocolate Chip Pancakes


With this recipe I have officially proven that crispy, carb snacks will not retain their texture in cooked pancakes.  I made potato chip pancakes last month, and the potato chips completely dissolved in the pancakes once the batter was cooked.


I thought that if I added a firmer snack, like pretzels, it wouldn't disappear.  I was mistaken.



There was still some semblance of pretzel in this pancakes, but they were soft.  It wasn't what I had in mind.


I'm not going to call these a complete failure, but that is because I'm an optimist.  





Given that these didn't really work out, you might be surprised that I'm still going to share the recipe.  The base pancake recipe is a gem.  I use it all the time.  If you make this, just omit the prezels.  The recipe comes from AllRecipes.  


The ingredients I used are 2 ounces pretzels, 1/4 cup chocolate chips, 3/4 cup milk, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 cup all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and some oil to grease the skillet.



I combined the milk and vinegar and set it aside for a few minutes.



I combined the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.



In another bowl, I whisked the egg and melted butter together.


I added the pretzels and chocolate chips to the dry ingredients.



I added the egg and butter to the milk mixture.  I whisked the liquid ingredients together.


I poured the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stirred until everything was just combined.


I put a little bit of oil into a warm skilled and scooped in a heaping 1/4 a cup of pancake batter into the pan.  I flipped it once bubbled formed near the center.  I repeated this step until all the batter was gone.


I sloshed on some syrup and consumed.


 As I said earlier, it's a great recipe.  The pretzels didn't really add much.


Chocolate chips and cinnamon are always a delightful addition to food, especially breakfast food.


This recipe make really light and fluffy pancakes.  The texture is really phenomenal.  


I doubt the recipe you use for pancakes is this good.




No comments: