Sunday, June 1, 2014

Asparagus, Mozzarella, and Tomato Pasta Salad


A couple of weeks ago I bought two globs of mozzarella in a two for one deal.  It's a little tricky for a single person two eat two entire balls of cheese, but I did it.  I ate mozzarella twice a day.


This was a light and fresh salad, which is perfect for summer.  It's packed with veggies.  I used frozen asparagus, which can be found any time of the year.


I ate this for lunch for several days; It held up well.  It can be eaten cold, which is perfect for a packed lunch.





The ingredients I used for this salad were a bunch of asparagus, 2 tomatoes, 7 slices of mozzarella cheese, a splash of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, 6 ounces shell pasta, and 1/2 cup fresh basil.



I chopped up the cheese and tomatoes and placed them in a bowl.



I also added a chiffonade of fresh basil to the bowl.  What is a chiffonade?  It's a technique for cutting fresh herbs in thin, long strips.  It sounds French, but I'm not sure.


I chopped of the bunch of asparagus and added it to the bowl.  Asparagus is a perennial.  Asparagus can be seen in Egyptian art from 3000 BC.  To create white asparagus, the shoots are covered with dirt as they grow.  They are white because they have no exposure to the sun.


I added the cooked pasta and a healthy drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.


I added salt and pepper to taste.


I combined all the ingredients throughly.


 Simple but delicious!


 It's comfort food but still a little healthy because it's packed with vegetables.


No comments: