Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Moroccan Beef Stew


It snowed today.  It is supposed to get up to the 50s tomorrow so it probably will not last long.  Many people worked from home because of the snow.  I went into work, and it was so quiet.  I had the place to myself.


In other exciting news, I saw the musical Wicked last weekend for the first time in my life.  I remember that a little over ten years ago it was so popular.  

Maybe in ten years I will end up seeing Hamilton.  I'm a little behind the times when it comes to musicals.  Wicked was fun.  I have heard most of the songs, and I was pretty familiar with the story line.


I found this Moroccan beef stew recipe on Epicurious.com.  The original recipe was not intended to be made in a slow cooker, but I made it in a slow cooker.  I didn't use any oil.  I used a a hearty cut of stew beef instead of beef tenderloin. I used chicken broth instead of beef broth as well.




The ingredients are 1 3/4 pounds stew beef cut into cubes, 1 large onion, 1 large carrot, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives, 1/2 cup golden raisins, 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro, and 1 teaspoon lemon peel.


I chopped the onion and placed it into the slow cooker.  I added the chopped beef, paprika, cumin, and ground cinnamon.




I added the minced garlic, chopped carrots,  chicken broth, and drained chickpeas.



I added the raisins, chopped Kalamata olives, lemon peel, and chopped cilantro.  I let this slowly cook in the slow cooker over medium heat for about 5 hours.



This was very flavorful.  The broth was scrumptious.  The spices, onion, and garlic made this dish very tasty.


The meat was soft and succulent.  The carrots and chickpeas were tender.  The carrots were a little sweet.

The raisins became plump and took some of the flavors of the dish.  They also added a little bursts of sweetness.


 The olives added some tang and brine flavor.  This dish had so many distinct yet complementary flavors.  It was sweet, savory, and salty.


 It was a delicious dish.  I would make it again.  I give it two thumbs up.  It's a winner!


No comments: