Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Grilled Vegetable Sandwich


From what I have read on other food blogs, today is cheesecake day.  I can't imagine that is a real holiday, but I have enjoyed reading several posts about one of my favorite desserts.


Instead of posting a decadent dessert recipe, I'm posting a veggie packed sandwich.  Those are almost the same thing, right?


With this recipe I can pretend I'm a healthy eater, when in fact, I ate a frozen yogurt sunday for lunch today.  



To make this sandwich, I used wheat bread, broccolini, carrots, sugar snap peas, 1 can kidney beans, 1 small can diced green chiles, hot sauce, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.


I baked the vegetables for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  Before roasting the vegetables, I drizzled on extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled on salt and pepper.


I mashed the diced green chiles and kidney beans together with a fork.


I spread the mashed beans on top of the bread.


I placed a thick layer of roasted vegetables on each slice of bread.



I added a little hot sauce.


I liked this sandwich.  It mades for a healthy and satisfying lunch or dinner.  It's quick and colorful.


 I enjoyed the bean spread.  I think I'll use mashed beans instead of mayonnaise again.  It adds creaminess without too many calories. It wasn't as hot as I expected.  I used mild green chiles, but next time I'll just use regular green chiles.


Adding the hot sauce and green chiles prevented this sandwich from being bland; It had a little kick.

No comments: