Saturday, April 20, 2019

Mincemeat Cookies


Happy Easter tomorrow!  When I was growing up, we would do Easter baskets on Saturday.  We would also usually go hiking in the desert on the Saturday before Easter as well.


I have fond memories of the Saturday before Easter.  My cousins, aunts, and uncles would get together to go have a picnic and take a hike. We would always have a trail mix that my aunt called bird seed.


On Easter we would go to church and eat a roast or something afterwards.  I have fond memories of the Saturday before Easter.


This recipe seems very appropriate for Christmas.  I baked these cookies after Christmas, but I bought a jar of mincemeat around Christmas time.  I still had half of the jar left in January, so I made these cookies.

I found the mincemeat cookie recipe on allrecipes.com.  The ingredients are 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, 1 cup shortening, 1 egg, 2 cup prepared mincemeat pie filling, 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda.  I made a glaze with about 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons water.


I beat together the sugar and shortening.  I then mixed in the egg.




I mixed in the mincemeat. I then mixed in the baking soda, salt, and flour.



I placed mounds of the cookie dough on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat.  I baked the cookies at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.  I let the cookies cool a little on the pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


Once the cookies were cool I drizzled on the glaze.


 These were delicious cookies.  They were soft and chewy.  They were packed full or warm, aromatic spices.


 They raisins added sweetness and a chewy texture.


 The flavor was delightful.  They seemed like Christmas in my mouth.  They were moist cookies as well.


 This was a great recipe.  I would make these cookies again.


No comments: