Friday, January 26, 2018

Lamb Tagine


This isn't the first time I made this recipe.  I made lamb tagine last June.  I used the same recipe as well.  The difference is that I used saffron this time.  I bought a small package of saffron in Spain.  


 This was a great recipe, which is why I made it twice.  I'm not sure how saffron affected the overall flavor.  I can't remember exactly how it tasted last time.  Last time I added dried apricots.  That was a tasty addition, and I probably should have added dried apricots this time as well.

I really enjoy lamb.  It is probably my favorite meat.  I have made a few lamb recipes in the past.  I have made lamb rogan josh, rice with fava beans, and lamb stew.



I made the lamb stew three years ago for Christmas.  It seems like it was just yesterday.  Time flies!


This lamb tagine recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I added more carrots and tomato paste.  I also added lemon juice.


The ingredients are 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 pounds lamb stew, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 pinch saffron, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 2 diced onions, 10 carrots, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, zest of one lemon, juice of one lemon, 3 cups chicken broth, 2 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons corn starch, and 2 tablespoons water.


I added the paprika, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, salt, ground ginger, saffron, garlic powder, and ground coriander into a zip lock bag.


I coated the lamb with two tablespoons of olive oil.  I placed the lamb in the bag.  I jostled the bag around until the lamb was evenly coated with the spices.  I let the lamb marinate overnight.


I browned the lamb in a skillet with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.  I browned half of the lamb at a time.  I then placed the lamb into a slow cooker.


I cooked the chopped onion in the same skillet for about five minutes.  I then added the minced garlic and ginger.  I cooked this mixture for another five minutes.  I then added this to the slow cooker.


I added the grated and chopped carrot and tomato paste into the slow cooker.


I added the honey, chicken stock, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  


I stirred the ingredients and let it cook for three hours on high heat.  I then removed the lamb and cut out the bones and chopped it into smaller pieces.  I added the lamb back not the slow cooker.  I combined the corn starch and water and then poured the slurry into the slow cooker.  I let tagine continue to cook on high for another hour.


This was incredibly delicious.  It was very flavorful.


It was full of warm, inviting, and aromatic spices.


The lamb was succulent and tender.  


The carrots were soft and sweet.


The broth was savory and tasty. 


It was toothsome and mouthwatering.


There is a reason I made this recipe twice.  It is really delicious.  


I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up!

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love a good lamb tagine! This looks really tasty!