Friday, December 15, 2017

Curry-Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas


Christmas is just around the corner.  We are a little over a week away from the big day.  


This week I saw The Christmas Carol at Ford's Theater.  The last time I saw The Christmas Carol I was in high school.  My dad often reads it to us at Christmas time.  He even read it to my mom and I last year. 

It was fun to go to a play at Ford's Theater as well.  I had gone on a tour there, but never seen a production.  It is one of those things that I have wanted to do for a few years, and I finally got around to doing it.



Unsurprisingly,  I have been eating loads of sugary treats this holiday season.  I have been trying to eat more vegetables and leafy greens to counteract all the desserts.  I'm not sure that qualifies for healthy eating, but oh well.


I found this curry-roasted butternut squash and chickpea recipe on Food and Wines website.  I made it as directed.

The ingredients are 2 large butternut squashes, 1 19-ounce can chick peas, 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, 3 cups plain yogurt, 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, and 3 tablespoon lime juice.


I peeled and cubed the butternut squash.  I rinsed and rained the chickpeas.  I then places these ingredients on a baking sheet.  



I tossed the butternut squash with the extra virgin olive oil, curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.  I think I went a little to heavy with the cayenne pepper, but it was still delicious.  I like a little heat.  I baked the squash and chickpeas for an hour at 375 degrees.  



I stirred together the yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro.  I added a little bit of salt too.



Once the squash was cooked, I smothered each serving with the yogurt sauce.


This was scrumptious.  It was a very toothsome dish.


The outsides of the squash were caramelized and golden.  The chickpeas were a little crunchy.  The inside of the squash was creamy and smooth.


The spices were aromatic and flavorful.  It has a little punch of heat.  


The yogurt sauce was tangy, acidic, and herby.  It has a flavorful, light, and fresh flavor.


The combination of flavors was fantastic.


This is one of the best vegetable dishes I have made in a while.  


It was inviting, exotic, and tasty.


I would definitely make this dish again.

No comments: