Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sugar Cookies with Coconut Grass and Chocolate Eggs


I rarely make cute desserts for the holidays, but I felt inspired last week.  I had a little extra time on my hands, and I wanted to bring something fun to a party I was going to.


I have made season desserts in the past.  A couple of years ago, I made sugar cookies for Valentines day that I rolled in red sugar and added a chocolate heart.

In a older blog post, I made chocolate cookies with mini Cadbury eggs.  Those were simple but very delicious.

I made spaghetti and meatball cupcakes a few years ago.  They are not appropriate for Easter, but they were fun nonetheless.


I can obviously work on improving my cute, holiday dessert recipes.  My problem is I don't plan well enough in advance.  You can't just create a visually appealing baking creation without preparation.  The next big holiday is the fourth of July.  I need to start planning now!


I found the sugar cookie recipe and buttercream frosting recipe on allrecipes.com.  I added a little salt to both recipes but otherwise made them as directed.  The sugar cookie recipe was great for these cookies because I didn't have to roll the dough and cut out cookies.  


The ingredients for the sugar cookies are 2 2/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup butter, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.



The ingredients for the frosting are 1/2 cup butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 cups powdered, sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and green food coloring.  For the coconut topping, I used I cup dried coconut flakes, 1 teaspoon water, and green food coloring.  I also used mini Cadbury chocolate eggs.


I creamed together the sugar and butter for a few minutes. The mixture becomes light and fluffy.



I beat in the egg and then the vanilla.


I added the baking soda, baking flour, salt, and half of the flour.  I mixed the dough together.  I added the remaining flour and then mixed it into the dough.



I scooped a tablespoon and a half of dough on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat.  Each mound of dough was about two inches apart from the other mounds of dough.  I baked the cookies for eight to ten minutes at 370 degrees.


For the coconut topping, I combined green food coloring and a teaspoon of water together.  


I added the coconut and the watery food coloring into a ziplock bag.  I shook the bag until the color was evenly distributed among the coconut flakes.


I poured the coconut onto wax paper to let it dry a little.


For the buttercream frosting, I creamed the softened butter for a few minutes.


I beat in the vanilla, salt, and then milk.


I gradually beat in the powdered sugar.


Once I reached the appropriate consistency, I added green food coloring.


I became to decorate, once the cookies were completely cooled.  I added about a tablespoon of frosting onto each cookie.  I spread the frosting evenly on top of the cookie.


I added two chocolate eggs onto the center of each cookie.


I sprinkled some green coconut flakes onto the frosting for grass.


 I repeated this process until all the cookies were covered with frosting, chocolate egg, and coconut.


These were delicious and fun.


The sugar cookies were fantastic. They were soft and tender.


The sugar cookies were sweet and buttery.  They had a homey vanilla flavor.


The frosting was creamy and smooth.  It was also sweet and luscious. 


The coconut was tropical and tasty.  The chocolate eggs were the sweet and creamy finales to make these cookies extra special.


These were scrumptious and toothsome.


I took these to a party, and my friends enthusiastically gobbled them up.  I ate way more of them than I should have as well.


I give these cookies two enthusiastic thumbs up!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

These cookies are the perfect Easter treat -- I love that coconut grass!

Unknown said...

I love sugar cookies!! Probably one of my favorite cookies EVER and these cookies look so yummy and cute! perfect for Easter! XOXO :)

laura said...

Thanks Marie and Kelly! I'm glad you like them :)