Friday, April 7, 2017

Roasted Brussels Spouts in Mango Nectar Glaze


This week week just flew by.  I'm happy it's Friday; it was a busy week, but I'm a little surprised it is the weekend already.  


I'm a big fan of Brussels sprouts.  They are probably my favorite vegetable.   I'm a fan of vegetables, so that is true praise.

I recently posted a butternut squash, Brussel sprout, apples, and sausage salad with blue cheese, cranberries and pecans.  That is a mouthful of a name, but it was tasty.  




I had mango nectar on hand and came up with this recipe myself.  It is about time, because I haven't posted a Brussel spout recipe since October of last year.


The ingredients are 2 pounds Brussel spouts, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, 8.4 fluid ounces mango nectar, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.  It's a short list of ingredients.


I poured the mango nectar into a saucepan.  I let it simmer for about 20 minutes.




Meanwhile I chopped the clean Brussel spouts in half.  I placed them on a baking sheet and drizzled them will olive oil.  I sprinkled on some salt and then tossed the Brussel sprouts around to evenly coat them with oil and salt.  I baked them for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  I stirred the spouts around after ten minutes.


Once the nectar had reduced a bit, I added the soy sauce.


I stirred the baked Brussel spouts into the reduced mango nectar to evenly coat the sprouts.


This was a flavorful and tasty dish.  The nectar was a little tart and acidic but also sweet.


The nectar thickened to a sticky and smooth glaze.


The soy sauce added nice depth of flavor and a little salt.

The sprouts were crisp and golden.  They were tender but no mushy.



It was an appetizing, appealing, and enjoyable dish.  I ate it with pleasure.


No comments: