Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Roasted Vegetables and Mozzarella in Pesto


I'm in sunny San Diego this week for a conference.  San Diego is a beautiful city.  The conference is educational and fun.  I have already meet many new people.  Being here is a nice change of pace.


I have been eating well, probably too well.  I don't think I'll want to weigh myself when I get back to Virginia.  The conference often provides food, and San Diego is full of fantastic restaurants.

Today I ate a slice of a decadent, flourless chocolate cake.  It was so rich.  I can eat rich food, but this cake almost had me beat.  I wasn't sure I was going to finish it, but I pushed through.  I'm not sure that is an accomplishment I should be proud of.



This evening I ate a couple of surf and turf tacos.  They were really scrumptious.  The restaurant had a salsa bar.  I tried every salsa they had.


I ate chilaquiles for the first time a couple of days ago.  It was fantastic.  It was flavorful, hearty, and packed full of spicy flavors.


The conference host is holding a big party tomorrow in Balboa park.  I went to this conference last year, and the Thursday party was out of control.  There were bands, fireworks, giant board games, and tons of food.  I think I need to eat a healthy salad tomorrow for lunch to counteract all the calories I have been eating and will be eating tomorrow night


I like to pretend that this vegetable dish is healthy.  I just need to ignore the pesto sauce and mozzarella.  Healthy or not, it was a yummy vegetable dish.  I came up with the recipe by myself.


The ingredients are 1 to 2 pounds asparagus, 1 pound brussels spouts, 1 pound green beans, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, 8 ounces mozzarella, and 7 ounces pesto.


I rented the vegetables.  I chopped the asparagus and green beans into 3 inch sticks.  I chopped the brussels spouts in half.


I placed the vegetables on two baking sheets.


I drizzled the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkled the vegetables with salt.  I baked the vegetables for 20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees.  I stirred the vegetables after ten minutes.
 

I combined the roasted vegetables with the pesto and mozzarella.  I chopped the fresh mozzarella into bit sized pieces.


I stirred until the dish was fully incorporated.


This was a delectable side dish.  The vegetables lightened up the heavier cheese and pesto sauce.


The flavors were fresh, herbal, and nutty.


The vegetables were tender, golden, and caramelized.  


The cheese was creamy and smooth.


It was a satisfying and filling dish.


It was rich because of the cheese and sauce.  


It was appetizing and satisfying.  I ate it warm and cold, and both versions were delicious.



No comments: