Friday, December 16, 2016

Chocolate Pancakes with Toffee, Pecans, and Coconut


Yesterday I went and saw a Christmas tree after work.  I knew it was going to be cold, but I prepared poorly regardless.  I had a coat, hat, gloves, and mittens so my upper body was okay.  The problem was my feet.


I wore my black leather flats that I often wear to work.  I wore stockings, but stockings are no match for cold weather.  My feet were ice cubes.  I kept walking in front of my friend during the exhibits.  It wasn't my intent to hurry her along, but it was my body's natural response to prevent me from getting frost bite.

We got a snack after viewing the tree.  My friend wanted to go to an outdoor Christmas market, but I vetoed that idea.  I strongly requested a heating, indoor establishment.  I kept rubbing my feet under the table to revive my poor little toes.


I'm getting into the Christmas spirit.  I have seen a couple of Christmas tree displays, a Christmas themed train display, and my office had a holiday party.  The party was good.  I met new people ate delicious treats.


The chocolate pancake recipe that I used as the base is my go to chocolate pancake recipe.  I have made it many times.  I used this recipe to make dried cherry and almond pancakes, mint chocolate pancakes,  and chocolate pancakes with peanut butter chips, among others.  It's a keeper!


For this version, I added chocolate chips, toffee bits, pecans, and coconuts.


The ingredients for these pancakes are 1 cup milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoon melted butter, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup chocolate chips, 1/3 cup toffee bits, 1/3 cup pecans, and 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes.



I added the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt into a bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.





I mixed together the melted butter and milk.  I poured these ingredients into the dry mixtures.  I also added the egg.



I whisked the batter together before adding the pecans, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and toffee bits.  I mixed the batter together.



For each pancake, I scooped about a third of a cup of the batter into a greased skillet.  I flipped it once bubbles started for form in the center of the pancake and the edges looked dry.  I cooked the reverse side for a couple of minutes.


I ate these with chocolate yogurt.  Who knew they made such a thing?  I think caramel and more coconut would be an even delicious topping.


These were scrumptious.  The pancakes have a rich and deep chocolate flavor.  The texture is hearty but fluffy.


The add ins provided texture, crunch, and a little extra sweetness.  They were packed full of all kinds of delicious morsels.


The pancakes were tender, hearty, and delicious.  The were a little decadent, but still appropriate for breakfast.  I enjoyed eating these immensely.  


No comments: