Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies


My downstairs neighbor is listening to salsa music right now.  It is very uncharacteristic of him.  He usually listens to heavy metal.  


It is good he is opening up his horizons.  The music makes me want to dance, but unfortunately I don't really know how to salsa dance.  You can't really dance salsa alone either.

Brownies are one of my favorite treats.  When I go to bakeries, I often get brownies instead of a fancy tart or cupcake.  It's simple, but usually very delicious.





These brownies were pretty simple.  I made an easy batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and used a box mix for the brownies.  The chocolate chip cookie recipe came from all recipes.com.  I only made half of the recipe.  I had cookie dough left over too.


I have made this cookie recipe before.  The recipe is entitled best chocolate chip cookies.  With such name, you know they have to be good.  From personal experience, I can vouch for its title.


The cookie ingredients are 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips.


For the brownie batter, I used a 18.9 ounce brownie mix.  The box required 1/4 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 egg.



I first made the cookie batter.  I beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar for a few minutes.





I beat in the egg for a couple of minutes.  I then beat in the vanilla extract.


I mixed in the flour, baking soda, and walt.


I stirred in the chocolate chips.  Yum! I set the batter aside while I prepared the brownie batter.


I added the brownie mix, water, oil and egg into a bowl and mixed well.



I poured the batter into a nine inch square baking dish that I lined with foil and greased well.


I scooped on generous portions of cookie dough dough all over the top of the brownie batter.


I baked the brownies at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  I checked to make such the center wasn't raw.  I like an undercooked brownie but not a gloppy brownie.


I let the brownies cool completely before removing them from the pan and cutting the cookies into small squares.


These were pretty decadent.


The brownies were rich and chocolaty.   The brownies were chewy and dense.


The cookies were buttery and golden.  


The edges became caramelized in the oven, but the center remained fudge like.


They were sweet and toothsome.


I shared them with friends, and everyone enjoyed them.  They were simple and homey but also scrumptious.



2 comments:

Recipe Swagger said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. This recipe looks yummy. I have a similar one with peanut butter cookies, but I am excited to try these. Funny enough I noticed you live in Washington D.C., but are from Utah. I currently live in Utah but am from the Washington D.C. area!

laura said...

How crazy! We switched places! :)