Wednesday, January 13, 2016

White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookies


When I was an undergraduate, I took a tap dancing class.  I only needed three classes to finish my major so I took fly fishing, sewing, and tap dancing to fill my schedule.



I ended up getting a B in the class even though I went to extra practice sessions and never missed a class.  It was an introductory class but clearly not easy.  Fly fishing and sewing weren't easy either.  The worst grade I have ever received was in fly fishing.  

I have never gone fly fishing since, and I doubt I ever will.  It ruined fly fishing for me forever.  Tap dancing is a different story.  I have wanted to take another tap dancing class since that time.


That was a long introduction just to say I am enrolled in a tap dancing class.  I went to the first session last week.  I have my tap shoes ready in my bag for tomorrow's class.  We have already learned several steps, some of which I vaguely remember.  I have been looking forward to my class all week.



I think my tap class is a harbinger of many good things to come this year.  This is going to be a great year.  I can feel it in my bones.


I made these cookies over the holidays.  I also made chocolate bars and oatmeal and coconut cookies with cinnamon chips.  Needless to say, I ate poorly during the holidays.  This cookie recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I used all vanilla extract instead of vanilla and almond extract.  I did this because my parents didn't have almond extract.


The ingredients are 1 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts, and 1 cup white chocolate chips.


 I creamed the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together.  I am stirring these ingredients by hand because I broke my parents' paddle attachment on their Kitchen-Aid.


I beat in the eggs and vanilla.


I added the flour, baking soda, and salt.  The recipe said to mix these ingredients separately before adding them to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, but I'm a rebel.   I mixed the dough until everything was well incorporated.



I scoped mounds of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.  Each mound had about 2 tablespoons of dough.  The mounts were two inches apart because the cookies spread in the oven.


I baked the cookies at 350 degrees for ten minutes.


I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the pan before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.


These cookies were scrumptious.  They were buttery and sweet.  The sugar has a caramelized flavor.




The macadamia nuts were crunchy and salty.  The white chocolate chips were velvety and smooth.  I don't normally enjoy white chocolate, but it is very fitting in these cookies.


The outside of the cookies were brown, and the edges were crisp.  The centers were soft and moist.


They were delectable and pleasurable.  They are attractive cookies too because they are all white. I'm glad I made them.  They were eaten quickly.

2 comments:

Beyondfrosting said...

This is one cookie I cannot deny!

laura said...

It's one of my favorites at Subway :)