Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip Cookies


My mother had this recipe clipped from a newspaper.  The full title of this recipe is "Top Secret Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chip  Cookies.  I'm not sure how the newspaper happened upon this top secret recipe.


I'm even less sure the recipe is authentic.  I would like to imagine some sinister and disenfranchised Mrs. Fields' employee selling the recipe to the newspaper, but I imagine most Mrs. Fields Cookie stores get their cookie dough preprepared and frozen.  The cookies are homemade to the extent that the employees put them in the oven.

This was the last cookie recipe I made at home over Christmas.  I made an apple pie with my dad that I haven't posted yet.  Needless to say, I gained some weight over the holidays.


We used christmas chips instead of chocolate chips.  The bag had regular semi sweet chocolate chips and colored white mint chips.  The holiday chips were fun, but I prefer regular old chocolate chips.


The ingredients are 1 cup softened butter, 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, 2 eggs, 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 18 ounces semisweet chocolate chips.  A regular size bag and a half of chocolate chips is 18 ounces.



I creamed the butter and sugars together.  This is when I broke my mother's paddle attachment.  That was some strong butter.



I added the vanilla extract and eggs.  I stirred vigorously and thoroughly.  



In another bowl, I added the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.  I whisked the dry ingredients together.


I added the flour mixture into the creamed butter and sugar.


I added the festive winter chips and stirred until the chips were dispersed throughout the batter.


I spooned mounds of dough onto a greased cookie sheet.  I placed the cookie dough balls two inches apart.


I baked the cookies for 9 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool a little on the baking pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


These were tasty.  It's hard to go wrong with homemade chocolate chip cookies.  


They were buttery, golden, and delicious.  The edges were crisp and caramelized.  


Though this was good recipe, it isn't my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I think the recipe I used in my candy bar stuffed chocolate chip cookies was better.


After saying that, this was a solid recipe.  We had no difficulty eating all the cookies within a few short days.


No comments: