Monday, March 9, 2015

Broccoli with Oyster Sauce


I have realized that I'll never be able to eat at all the restaurants I want too.  I just don't have the time or money.


It's a little sad.  There are so many wonderful foods out there, but I'll be a pauper who weights 500 pounds if I try them all.


I have started a Chinese food kick.  It hasn't yet reached the level of my pancake obsession, but there are more Chinese dishes to come.



I didn't come up with this recipe.  It came from a the internet.   That is not a link to the internet at large, but a link to the recipe.


The ingredients are 1 pound broccoli flowerets, 1/4 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 4 teaspoons water, and 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds.



I brought a pot of water to oil and blanched the broccoli for 3 minutes.  I then drained the broccoli and rinsed it in cold water to stop it from cooking.


I made the sauce by bringing the chicken broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and salt to boil.



I thoroughly mixed the corn starch and cold water.  I added the corn starch slurry to the simmering sauce.  I stirred the sauce while it thickened.


I combined the broccoli and sauce.  I didn't let the sauce thicken enough and ended up cooking the sauce and broccoli for a couple of minutes.  The broccoli wasn't as crisp as I prefer.


The last step was adding sesame seeds.


This was a savory and appetizing side dish.


It takes minutes to prepare, but the flavors are deep and pungent.  


 This would made a great side for dumplings or the garlic noodles I posted earlier this week.


The technique is simple, but the results are satisfying.


No comments: