Friday, March 6, 2015

Coconut Rice with Green Onions


I didn't go to work yesterday because it snowed all day.  Instead I sat around reading and watching way too much TV.


My backside was sore from all the sitting, and my brain turned to mush.

With extra time on their hand, some might be productive by practicing a hobby or doing a craft.  I reverted to my naturally lazy and gluttonous self.  


It was fun, but after a few days of sitting around all day, I'd go crazy.  I was on the cusp a few times yesterday.  I had to take a break from my marathon TV viewing and do a few sit-ups or watch the snow pile up outside.


The gym at work emails a monthly schedule and newsletter that has a few healthy recipes.  I'm not sure how this recipe made almost entirely of white rice made the cut, but who am I to question?  The ingredients are 1 cup long grain white rice, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 cup water, salt, 2 1/4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 cup chopped onion, 3/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes, ground black pepper, and 1/4 cup green onions.


I put rice, chicken broth, water, and salt into a pot over medium heat.  Once it started to simmer, I reduced the heat to low and let it cook for a little less than 20 minutes.  The water had been absorbed, and the rice was tender.




I sauteed the chopped onion in olive oil until the onion was soft and browned.  This took about eight minutes.


I added the turmeric and coconut flakes to the skillet.


I stirred the onion mixture together.


I added the onion mixture and chopped green onions into the cooked white rice.


I combined all the ingredients.


This was a simple but savory and tempting dish.  I already had most of the ingredients in my pantry, but I had never made anything like it before.


It was packed full of gratifying, warm flavors.  It was aromatic and enticing.


It had excited flavors that all married well together.  The caramelized onions, earthy turmeric, and sweet coconut packed a powerful flavor punch.


No comments: