Monday, March 26, 2018

Southwest Salad with Black Beans, Butternut Squash, Corn, and Tomatoes


I just got back from Mexico last last night.  I went to La Paz, which is in Baja California.  My brother and his family is spending several months there, and I went down to visit with my parents.


It was a great trip.  The water was beautiful, it was warm, and I really enjoyed visiting family.  

We did some great activities as well.  We went on a whale watching camping trip where we went on boat trips twice a day to visit and even touch grey whales.



We also saw sea lions and went snorkeling.  We visited a few other cities in Mexico called San Ignacio, Loreto, and Santa Rosalia.  They were all beautiful cities.  It was a great trip, and I'm a little sad to get back to my regular life.


I made this southwest salad today.  I will be eating for lunch all week.  I made up the recipe myself.  The ingredients are 32 ounces butternut squash, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt, 4 ounces frozen corn, 11 small tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 2 jalapeños, 1 red onion, 2 cans black beans, 1 bunch cilantro, 3 avocados, 2 limes, and salt.


I sprinkled on about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on the cubed butternut squash.  I baked the squash at 400 degrees with about 30 minutes.  I stirred the squash after 15 or 20 minutes.  I chopped the tomatoes while the squash baked.  I also chopped up the green pepper and jalapeño peppers.  I added these ingredients into a large bowl.


I chopped up the red onion and cilantro.  I added these ingredients to the bowl as well.  I chopped up the avocados and added them to the bowl.   I then sprinkled the lime juice of two limes over the avacadoes.


I added the butternut squash and black beans.  I added the remaining olive oil and salt.


I stirred all the ingredients up together thoroughly.


This is a bright and fresh salad.  It has a little acidity from the limes and a little heat from the jalapeños.  


It is a colorful and attractive salad as well.


The vegetables are all varied and well balanced.  The corn, beans, and squash make the salad a little more hearty.


 It is a scrumptious salad with delicious flavors.  I would made this salad again.


No comments: