Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Balsamic Glazed Carrots


Next week the Pope is coming to Washington DC.  I'm not catholic, but I really want to see him.  I work close to where he will be some of the days he will be in town.



The days he will be in town, I am going to track his movements.  Hopefully I can catch him driving by in a car or something.  He seems like a really cool guy.  I'm not sure if that is an appropriate thing to say about the Pope, but that's what I think.


I ate these carrots with the chicken I posted about a couple of days ago.  They both had balsamic vinegar and the same herbs.  They complemented each other well.


The recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I changed the cooking method.  I also added dried basil and rosemary.


The ingredients are 3 cups baby carrots, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar.


I first boiled a couple cups of water and simmered the carrots for 15 minutes with the lid on.  I added the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, dried rosemary, and dried basil into another saucepan over medium heat.  I let this simmer for 5 minutes.




Once the carrots were cooked and the sauce had reduced, I drained the carrots.  I then combined the glaze and carrots.


I let the carrots and glaze cook together for a couple minutes.  I stirred regularly.  I added salt to taste.


 These carrots were flavorful.  They were acidic, sweet, and herbaceous.


The carrots were tender but not mushy.


The flavors were warm and inviting.  This was a tasty dish.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

These look AMAZING!!! I love balsamic carrots but never thought to make them...might be time to change that!

Eva said...

My 5-year old has a hard time eating raw carrots and always raves about her school's carrots. I'm not sure how they are prepared, but this sounds like a great recipe to try out on her!

laura said...

Thanks for visiting ladies! It's worth a try!