Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Shallots


I went to the dentist today.  Many people don't like going to the dentist, but I don't mind it.  Going to a doctor stresses me out more.  Even if I have a cavity, it's a painless experience thanks to local anesthetic.


As always, I was told to floss more.  I was more frightened by the warning this visit.


 The dentist said my gums had receded a little bit because I don't floss enough.  I looked in a mirror afterwards, and I think he's right.  I have another thing to be frightened of as I get older!


This dish is more appropriate for fall, but that's okay.  It isn't the most visually appealing dish either, but it was tasty nonetheless.


The ingredients are 15 small sweet potatoes, 5 shallots, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.  


I cubed the sweet potatoes and shallots.  I laid them on a baking dish and sprinkled them with the extra virgin olive oil.  I baked the potatoes and shallots for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.



After baking, I mashed the sweet potatoes and shallots.


I added the honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.



I stirred everything together and dug in.


The dish had warm and aromatic flavors.  There is a hint of sweetness from the maple syrup, but it was slight.  The perfect amount for a savory dish.


The shallots gave the dish a garlic and onion taste that made it much more flavorful. It was delicious!



2 comments:

Kate Morgan Jackson said...

These look delectable, and like the perfect reward for going to the dentist! :)

laura said...

Kate, I like your perspective!