Sunday, April 19, 2015

Citrus Beet Salad with Feta and Walnuts


Yesterday was a big day for me.  I moved to a new area.  I actually moved to a different state.  In the DC metropolitan area, that could mean the difference of just a few miles.


I'm really excited for the change.  It will be fun spending the summer getting to know a new area.  During the summer, this area has a farmers market, weekly 5K races, and outdoor movies, among other things.

Last Friday I ate at a delicious kabob restaurant just down the street.  I live close to several mom and pop restaurants that I'm looking forward to trying.


My old apartment was so small that I couldn't invite people over.  I intend to host brunches, game nights and dinners at my new place.  There is a small backyard with a fire pit.  One of my first parties is going to be a s'mores night.


The downside of my move is that I will not be able to walk to work anymore.  My commute is a little longer. Oh well!


I made this beet salad up.  I'm proud of myself because it's delicious. I ate it with gusto.  



The ingredients for the dressing are 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup orange juice, zest of 2 oranges, and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.  The other ingredients are 6 beets,  2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup walnuts, 5 ounces feta cheese, and 1 1/2 oranges.


I removed the skin of the beets and chopped them.  I drizzled the beats with olive oil and sprinkled on salt.  I baked them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


For the dressing, I removed the zest of the oranges and added it to a mason jar.


I added the orange juice, mustard, honey, extra virgin olive oil, and salt.  I firmly twisted on the lid and shook the jar vigorously.



I chopped the oranges and added them to a bowl.  I added the cooked beets, walnuts, and feta.  In retrospect, I think I should have added the walnuts and feta on top of the salad after combining the beets, oranges, and dressing.  The taste would be identical, but the beets colored everything a vibrant pink.


 

I poured on the citrus dressing and combined all the ingredients.



This was a colorful, delicious, fresh, and bright salad.  It its perfect for spring.


The honey and oranges were sweet.  They balance out the salty feta and tangy mustard.


The walnuts gave the salad crunch.  It was delicious!  The beet and citrus complement each other so well.  It's not a combination I think about often, but they are a perfect pair.


I enjoyed this salad immensely.  It was appetizing for the both the eyes and mouth.



It is healthy too.  It's wonderful when tasty food is good for your body.  That way I don't feel guilty having seconds.

No comments: