Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Shortbread Candy Bars


I have a hoard of chocolate in my apartment.  I still have Christmas cookies stashed away in my freezer.  I don't know the life span of frozen cookies, but they probably have freezer burn by now.


I believe I am trying to sabotage my goals of eating healthier.  

This recipe calls for two cups of chopped candy, and I had enough to spare on hand.  I have a tendency of buying things on sale, even when I have too much of the item.  Did I really need to buy that bag of candy, even it it's 50 percent off? No!



Yesterday I talked myself out of buying a box of cold cereal that was bargain because I already have three boxes.  


What do I do with my excess candy?  I bake desserts that are loaded with candy.  It's not logical, but it's delicious!


The recipe came from the domestic goddess Martha Stewart.  I made it exactly as directed.


The ingredients are 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 2 cups chopped chocolate candies.  



I beat the brown sugar, softened butter, and salt.  I used a wooden spoon so it may be more appropriate to say I mixed it vigorously.


I added the flour in three additions.  I stirred the flour in after each addition.


I pressed the dough into a 8 inch square baking dish.  I lined it with foil, but I'm sure that was not necessary with a cup of butter.  I tried to make an even layer.  I baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


When I removed it from the oven, I sprinkled on the chocolate chips in a single layer.  I put it back into the oven for another minute.


I spread the melted chocolate chips into a thin, even layer.  I licked the knife clean, but that's not required.


I sprinkled on the chopped candy.


I let it cool completely before cutting it into bars.


Pairing all of this sweet chocolate with a shortbread is good because the shortbread is a little less sweet than most cookies.  It is decadent, but not cloyingly sweet.


 The shortbread is a little crumbly, which I didn't love.  I don't think there is anything I could do to prevent shortbread from being crumbly.  The flavor of the shortbread is more caramel like and deep because of the brown sugar.


The crust is thick and rich.  The chocolate layer is smooth and creamy.  The candy provides crunch and texture.  It's a good combination.  I would make it again!

No comments: