Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Oatmeal Pancakes


What are your thoughts about going to a movie by yourself?


I didn't work last Friday.  I was supposed to replace my driver's license, but I was told by a DMV worker that I needed another document.  Instead of doing useful and productive errands, I went to the movie theater during the middle of the day.

During the day, there are always seats available.  You don't have to get to the theater early to stake out your position.


I was alone, but the seven other people in the theater were there by themselves as well.  I enjoy going to matinées by myself.  I don't feel weird because everyone is alone, and I almost have the entire theater to myself.



I saw Selma, which is fantastic movie.  I would recommend it.  It's the best movie I have seen in months.

This recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I added cinnamon, raisins, and chocolate chips.




The ingredients are 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup oats, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 egg, 1/4 cup raisins, and 1/4 cup chocolate chips.



I combined the flour, oats, sugar, and baking powder.  This needed to be blended, so I should have just added it directly to the blender.




I also added the baking soda and cinnamon.  At this time, I realized I needed to blend the ingredients, and so I put them into a blender.


I added the vanilla, oil, egg, and buttermilk.



I blended the batter until there were no lumps.


I added the raisins and chocolate chips to the batter.


I poured between a fourth and a third of a cup of batter into a hot and greased skillet.


I flipped the pancakes when little bubbles started forming in the center of the pancakes.  I cooked the pancake for an addition two to three minutes on the other side.


I served these with apple butter.  I think apple sauce or syrup would be delicious too.


The oats make these pancakes a little heartier than regular buttermilk pancakes.  Their texture was still fluffy and light.  The pancakes had a nutty, oat flavor.  


 The cinnamon gives the pancakes a warm, homey flavor.  These pancakes reminded me of oatmeal cookies, but they were less sweet.  I enjoyed the chewy raisins and creamy chocolate chips.


I enjoyed these pancakes.  The texture and flavor was excellent.  They were a bit more wholesome than my other pancake recipes but just as delicious.



3 comments:

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I go to the movies by myself pretty often! In fact I just saw The Hobbit alone last week. Pancakes sound awesome right about now.

Unknown said...

These pancakes look wonderful! It feels like such an indulgence when I get to start the day with some!

laura said...

Thanks Ladies!