Monday, October 27, 2014

Cosi's Smart Fit Imitation Salad


It is rare when I find a salad I think is attractive.  I enjoy salads, but I usually only stare at foods that involves chocolate or gooey caramel.  


This is a photo worthy salad.  It it so bright and colorful.  In addition to being photogenic, it is delicious.



Cosi has a salad with sweet potatoes, beans, and red pepper.  I also think it has a lime vinaigrette.  Don't quote me on that.



Even though it is one of their healthier items, it is one of my favorite things to order there.  That's true even when I am not looking at the calorie count.  


Last week I decided I needed to increase my vegetable intake and decrease my chocolate intake.  


I thought of some of my favorite salads, and this one came to mind.  I decided I need to recreate it at home.  It is not a spot on replication, but it is just as delicious.


The ingredients are 1 large sweet potato, 1 red onion, red peppers, 1 can black beans, 1 avocado, carrots, baby spinach, frozen corn, grape tomatoes, and cilantro salad dressing.  I bought the salad dressing at Trader Joe's.  It is toothsome and healthy.  


While the cubed sweet potato baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, I prepared the rest of the salad.  I sprinkled the sweet potato with salt and olive oil before baking.  I put down some baby spinach and chopped red onions.




I added chopped carrots and grape tomatoes. 


I added chopped red pepper and corn.  I heated the corn in the microwave for a few minutes before adding to the salad.  


I added the drained and rinsed black beans, chopped avocado, and my favorite part, the roasted sweet potato.  



 At last, I added some cilantro dressing.  I went a little heavy with the dressing, but it's healthy!


This is a colorful, fresh, and delightful salad.


It has so many fantastic ingredients.


 The avocado and sweet potato are creamy.  The carrots and red pepper are crisp.  All the food textures are covered!


It makes a filling and nutritious meal.


 People who saw me eating this salad had salad envy, and they should have because it was an impressive salad.


No comments: