Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Marinated Sweet and Sour Fish


I got this recipe from a Middle Eastern recipe book in the library. I made copies of several recipes that interested me.


 Unfortunately, I didn’t write down the name of the book. I need to search out its name on the internet, because it had great recipes and beautiful pictures.


I plan on making another recipe from the cookbook in the coming week that involved butternut squash and Tahiti.


I wanted to make this recipe exactly directed, but Trader Joe’s isn’t the best source for spices. They didn’t even have bay leaves. Isn’t that surprising? They had turmeric and saffron, but no bay leaves. I’m sure if you use bay leaves and coriander seeds, this recipe is even more amazing.




The ingredients I used are 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 medium onions, 2 peppers (1 yellow and 1 red), 2 minced garlic gloves, 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder, 5 small tomatoes, 2 ½ tablespoons sugar, 5 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 pound cod, all-purpose flour with salt, 2 large eggs, and cilantro for garnish. The recipe called for 1 tablespoons coriander seeds and 3 bay leaves. They suggest using cod, halibut, or haddock. They also suggest using cider vinegar and not rice vinegar.


I heated 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. I added the chopped onions and cooked it for 5 minutes. This is where you should add the coriander seeds.


After 5 minutes, I added the sliced pepper and cooked for another 10 minutes.

I added the garlic, curry powder, chopped tomatoes, and cooked for 8 minutes. If you have bay leaves, add them at this point.

I added the sugar, vinegar, and 1 ½ teaspoons salt. I cooked this for 5 minutes.


Meanwhile, I cooked the cod. The cod filets were cut into four equal portions. I liberally sprinkled the filets with salt.


I dipped the fish in the salted flour.

I then dunked it in the beaten eggs.


I added the remaining tablespoon of oil to another frying pan on medium high heat. I fried the fish for 3 minutes total. I flipped the filet midway through. I had to cook my fish in batches because the frying pan was small.


 While I cooked the fish, the onions and pepper started to look beautiful.


If I had an oven safe frying pan, I would have nestled the party cooked fish into the onion and pepper mixture. Instead I placed them in a baking pan. I poured the fragrant onion and pepper mixture over the fish. I then poured in a cup of water.



I baked the fish for 12 minutes at 375 degrees. Interestingly, this fish is served at room temperature; so let it cool before eating.

The author also suggests letting it sit a day or two in the fridge so the fish has time to marinate in the flavors of the vinegar, onions, and sugar.

When you are ready to eat, garnish the fish with a healthy sprinkling of cilantro.

This was a really great dish. The fish is moist and the flavors are bright and fresh.

Because it is eaten at room temperature, it makes a great lunch. If you make this, you’ll like it. It’s flavorful but still healthy.

No comments: