Friday, April 18, 2014

Carrot, Pineapple and Coconut Salad


Today I saw the second ballet of my life.  It was Don Quixote.  I have never read the book and was only partially familiar with the story.  It's impressive how much the dancers can convey without words. I prefer plays, but ballets are fun too.


I have been on a carrot binge lately.  I made carrot muffins last week, and I made carrot cake pancakes yesterday.  I need a brake from grating carrots, especially since my roommates grater is broken.


This was a yummy, spring salad.  The original recipe came from another blog called Add a Pinch.  I added coconut, walnuts, and green onions to her recipe.



The ingredients are 1 cup coconut flakes, 1/4 cup walnuts, 2 green onions, 4 cups shredded carrots, 1 cup raisins, 1/2 cup diced pineapple, and 1/2 cup mayonnaise.  


I added the carrots, raisins, and pineapple to a bowl.



I added walnuts and mayonnaise.  


I used kitchen shears to chop the green onions.


I added the shredded coconut flakes.  


I stirred all the ingredients together, and the salad was finished.


This is a really simple recipe.  It was sweet and delightful.  I enjoyed the nuts and chewy raisins.  This seemed like a desert salad.


All the flavors and textures married well together.  I enjoyed this salad.  It felt a little like a caloric splurge but was actually pretty healthy.


2 comments:

Lily said...

Nice combination, something a bit different! I haven't been to a ballet performance in many years. I've read Don Quixote and I imagine it'd make a very entertaining performance. :)

laura said...

Lily, Thanks! It was great! It's been over ten years since the first and only time I saw a ballet before now.