Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tropical Zucchini Bread

It’s strange that summer after summer everyone has so much zucchini they don’t know what to do with it. I think we should all collectively decide to grow less zucchini. Experience shows that zucchini is a hearty little plant.

Don’t get me wrong, I like zucchini. It doesn’t feel like summer unless I eat copious amounts of zucchini. I’m game for eating zucchini for any meal of the day, but it gets old if you eat it for all three meals for several days.

Anyway, let’s talk about zucchini bread. It’s one of those delightful desserts, like granola or fruit snacks, we pretend is healthy.  It’s “tropical” because I added sweetened coconut flakes, mango, and pineapple. I modified a recipe from all recipes to make this bread.

The ingredients are 1 ½ cups of flour, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, 2 eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil, ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla, 1 cup grated zucchini, ½ cup cubed mangos, and ½ cup cubed pineapple.

I first whisked the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together.




I added to shredded coconut and stirred.

In another bowl, I whisked the eggs, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla together.


I added the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and combined the ingredients.


I added the mango chunks, pineapple, and zucchini and stirred. I cut the mango and pineapple pieces quite small. I also drained the pineapple thoroughly.

I poured the batter in a greased loaf pan and cooked it for 60 to 65 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. I had to bake it longer than expected because my batter had more moisture than the original recipe. If you make this bread, be sure to check if the bread is done because the fruit can affect the required cooking time.


This was good. It was hard to differentiate between the pineapple and mango bits, so you could just use one or the other. I really enjoyed the addition of the coconut. The textures and flavors provided by the pineapple, mango, and coconut flakes made this bread tasty.

No comments: