Thursday, August 15, 2013

Roasted Vegetable and Ravioli Salad

Summer is the perfect time for pasta salads that can be eaten warm or cold. I ate this salad at work for several days. I used some of my favorite vegetables, but you could definitely use whatever vegetables are in season.

I used 20 ounces of cheese ravioli, 3 cups Brussels sprouts, 1 bunch asparagus, salt, 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, ½ cup and 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and ½ teaspoon salt.


I began by slicing the Brussels spouts into two, trimming the ends off the asparagus, chopping the asparagus into 3 inch spears, and rinsing these vegetables in a colander.  I drizzled the asparagus and spouts with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkled on a healthy amount of salt. I roasted the vegetables for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. After 20 minutes I added the halved cherry tomatoes to the roasting pan and baked for an additional 10 minutes.


To prepare the vinaigrette, I whisked the red wine vinegar, garlic, mustard, basil, and salt together. I prefer my vinaigrette with comparatively more vinegar and less oil. You might need to adjust these ingredients to meet your tastes. I then added and whisked the ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil.


When the vegetables were almost finished roasting, I added the ravioli to boiling water and cooked for 3 minutes.

I added the roasted vegetables and ravioli into bowl.
I whisked the vinaigrette again before pouring it over the vegetable and pasta mixture. This is a light, refreshing pasta salad. The vegetables were soft, but not mushy and had a little texture from being roasted. After a day in the refrigerator, the flavors of the vinaigrette permeate the salad nicely.



No comments: