Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Molasses Whole Wheat Quick Bread

I found this recipe on another blog. It isn’t the most glamorous bread. It doesn’t have a crumb topping or glaze. I was interested in the recipe because it uses molasses as its only sweetener, and I love the taste of molasses. I also wanted to see how the corn meal affected the texture of the bread.

To make this bread I used 1 2/3 cups plain yogurt, 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour, ½ cup corn meal, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and ½ cup molasses.
I began by combining the flour, corn meal, salt, and baking soda. Apparently, corn meal should be refrigerated once opened.


I whisked the dry ingredients together.

In another bowl I combined the yogurt and molasses. Molasses is a by-product of refining sugar cane or sugar beets into sugar. The juice is extracted from the cane and boiled. The more times the liquid is boiled down, the stronger the flavor.
I whisked the liquid ingredients together.
I poured the yogurt and molasses into the dry ingredients and stirred to combine.

I was a little bit frightened at this point because it is a thick batter, but I pushed through and it worked out in the end.
I poured the dough into an oiled loaf pan. The dough was so thick I had to push it down and form it into a loaf shape with the spatula.
I baked the loaf for 45 minutes at 324 degree Fahrenheit. The original recipe said to cool the bread for 20 minutes and then remove it from the pan until it has cooled completely. I didn’t do this because I went to sleep. I just let it cool throughout the night in its pan.

People might not appreciate this bread because it isn’t pretty, but looks can be deceiving. I encourage you to throw your food prejudices aside and make this bread. It’s moist, and the corn meal adds wonderful texture. The flavor is great. You can taste the molasses, but it isn’t overpowering

No comments: