Monday, August 5, 2013

Pork Fried Rice

Who doesn’t love pork fried rice? There are many types of fried rice out there. The meats, vegetables, and sauces can vary. The variety of fried rice recipes isn’t surprising given that it is eaten throughout Asia. This recipe uses pork, peas, and oyster sauce. I decided to add some carrots. Bean sprouts would be good as well.

The ingredients are ½ cup finely chopped carrots, 2 ½ cups rice, 3 eggs, 3 scallions, ¼ cup oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 cup frozen peas, and 2 cups diced pork.

I cooked my rice earlier in the day and let it cool completely. After reading some articles about how to cook fried rice, I now know you should cook your rice at least 24 hours before making fried rice. That allows the rice to dry out, and you won’t end up with mushy rice. After the rice has sat in your fridge for at least a day, break up any rice clumps.

I prepared all the ingredients beforehand because fried rice doesn’t take much time to cook. I cut up the ham, scallions, and carrots. I also combined the oyster sauce and soy sauce.



I put my skillet on high heat. The blog I read said that a hot wok, or in my case skillet, is the key to a good stir-fried rice. If it isn’t hot enough, the sauce will make the rice gummy, and the rice will stick to the pan. Once the pan is hot, I added some sesame oil and beaten eggs. I tilled the pan so the eggs covered the bottom of the pan in a thin layer. I cooked the eggs until they were firm without stirring.


I removed the eggs from the pan and cut them into pieces.


I added more oil and the carrots to the pan. They cooked on high heat for about two minutes.  I then added the scallions and peas. I continued to stir and cook on high heat until the scallions were soft. This doesn’t take a long time.

I added the rice, pork, sauce, and eggs. I stirred after each addition. Eggs can also be used as a binder in fried rice. Instead of cooking them before hand, you add the beaten, uncooked eggs while the rice is frying.  


I continued to heat the fried rice for 2 minutes. By this time, the rice was hot.


This was delicious and easy to make. It took less than twenty minutes to prepare. I recommend cooking the rice at least 24 hours before making the dish because my rice was too moist.


No comments: