Saturday, August 10, 2013

Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Bacon

One of my favorite vegetables is Brussels sprouts. I like their flavor, and I like how they look like cute, little cabbages. Many people don’t particularly care for their smell, but I don’t mind it.

For this recipe, I used ½ cup balsamic vinegar, 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, 2 slices cooked bacon, salt, and 1/8 cup walnuts. Brussels sprouts are grown in a spiral around a stock.
I began by reducing the balsamic vinegar by simmering it for 5 minutes.



I then added the Brussels sprouts and cooked it for 13 minutes with the lid on. I cooked for an additional 2 minutes without the lid. By this time, most of the vinegar had been absorbed or evaporated.

I removed the Brussels sprouts from the pan to serving dish and sprinkled with chunks of bacon and broken walnut bits on top.


The flavor combination was excellent. The sweet balsamic glaze paired well with the savory bacon and walnuts. The Brussels sprouts were too chewy. I think they dried out. When I make this again, I will boil the sprouts for 5 to 10 minutes while the balsamic vinegar is reducing in another pan. Once the sprouts are soft, I will add them to the reduced vinegar.


No comments: