Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats

Whenever I go to a potluck, I like to bring a dessert. Desserts are my favorite thing to make, but from personal experience I know I should never bake an entire pan of brownies or batch of cookies for my own personal consumption. A friend recently moved and held a farewell party before leaving town, a perfect opportunity to bake a sweet concoction.

I was in the mood for rice crispy treats. The original recipe came from Kellogg’s website. Rice crispy treats were invented by the Kellogg Company in 1939 as a fund raiser for the Camp Fire Girls. I have never heard of the Camp Fire Girls before, but they are still around. On a slightly related topic, I recently heard the Girl Scouts are responsible for S ’mores. I added some peanut butter and peanut butter cups to my treats to make them a little fancier.

The ingredients are 3 tablespoons butter, 10 ounces marshmallows, 6 cups rice crispy treats, ½ cup peanut butter, and about 1 cup mini peanut butter cups.
I melted the butter, marshmallows, and peanut butter into a sticky, sweet goo in a pan over medium heat.




Once melted, I poured the mixture over the cereal.


I stirred to combine and then added the peanut butter cups. The marshmallow syrup was so hot that it partially melted the peanut butter cups. This photo is a little out of focus.


I pressed the cereal mixture into a greased 9 by 13 inch pan.


I let it cool and set for half an hour before eating.  Rice crispy treats with peanut butter and peanut butter cups; what's not to like?  I didn't take any home with me from the party, which is always a good sign.


No comments: