Sunday, October 21, 2018

Ghormeh Sabzi


I have made Ghormeh Sabzi before with chicken.  For some reason, I don't remember it tasting as good as this time.  


I remember it being almost too herby.  This was a great recipe.  It was flavorful and delicious.  I made it a few weeks ago and still remember its wonderful taste.

I made it with lamb, which makes things tastier.  Have you bought lamb at a grocery store recently? It it is so expensive.  Many grocery stores don't even sell it.


It is a shame because I really enjoy lamb.  Unfortunately it seems like it can only be an occasion meal because it so pricy.

I made this by combining two different recipes.  One ghormeh sabzi recipe came from a website called Tasting Table.  The other ghormeh sabzi recipe came from a blog called Genius Kitchen.  Those are both great recipes for food websites.


The ingredients are 1 large onion, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil,  1 teaspoon turmeric, 2 pounds lamb, 2 16-ounce cans kidney beans, 1 potato, 1 cup green onions, 2 cups spinach, 1 cup parsley, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup fenugreek, 6 dried limes, and salt.



I cooked the chopped onion in 1 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until the onions were softened and golden.  I then added the turmeric and continued to cook the mixture for another two minutes.  The turmeric becomes fragrant.



I added the two pounds of chopped lamb.  I continued to cook the lamb and onions until the lamb had browned.  I then added the 2 cans of drained and rinsed kidney beans.


I added enough water to just barely cover the ingredient.  I let this simmer for an hour.


While the lamb simmered I chopped up the green onion, parsley, spinach and cilantro.


I chopped and pealed the potato.  I browned the potato in a half a tablespoon of vegetable oil.  I then added this to the lamb after the lamb had simmered for around and 50 minutes.  I let the potatoes simmer with the lamb for about ten minutes.


While the lamb was still simmering for an hour, I also cooked the herbs and spinach in a tablespoon of oil over medium heat.  I cooked the herbs until they had become dark green.


After the lamb had simmered for an hour, I added the dark green herbs, the dried fenugreek, and the dried limes.



I let the mixture simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.  I also added salt to taste.


I ate this with flat bread.  It was absolutely scrumptious.  


It was so flavorful and aromatic.  



It was a hearty and nourishing meal.  It had bright and fresh flavors from the herbs and lime.  It has a little acid flavor from the limes.


The lamb was so tender and succulent.   The potatoes were soft.


It was a very satisfying and yummy meal.  It is a persian dish, but I have never eaten it from a restaurant.  I have only tasted my own, home-cooked version.  I don't know how authentic this is, but it was very delicious.


 I would definitely give this dish two thumbs up.  It was a success.


I believe I will make it again using beef.  It was excellent; one of the best dishes I have made in awhile.




No comments: