Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles


I don't make snickerdoodles that often.  When I make desserts, I am often drawn to chocolate baked goods.  Fortunately, when I venture of my regular baking rut, I'm often pleased.


Snickerdoodles often have a nice tender texture and warm spices.  


According to Wikipedia, snickerdoodles are not well known outside of Canada and the United States. That's odd, because the same article mentions that their origin may be German.


Snickerdoodles contain cream of tarter, and are rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture.  The article also mentions snickerdoodle flavored ice-cream.  I have yet to see that, but it sounds delicious.


In my mind, snickerdoodles seem to be a Fall treat.  I think it is because they are coated in spices.  I made these cookies particularly seasonally appropriate by using pumpkin pie spiced instead of cinnamon.




An article on another blog called American Food Historian says that there is a recipe for snickerdoodles dating back to 1898.  The recipe was from the Boston Daily Globe.  


There is another recipe found from 1901 in the Idaho Daily Statesman.  Both of these recipes call for cream of tarter and are dusted with cinnamon and sugar.


This snickerdoodle recipe came from allrecipes.com.  I replaced the cinnamon with pumpkin pie spice.  I also ending up making a little bit more of the sugar and spice mixture because I ran out before using all the dough.



The ingredients are 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 1/2 cups white sugar, 2 eggs, 2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons cream of tarter, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.


I creamed together the butter, shortening and sugar for a few minutes.




I beat in the eggs one at a time.  I then beat in the vanilla.


I added the cream of tarter, baking soda, salt, and flour.  I mixed the cookie dough until combined.



I mixed together the remaining sugar and pumpkin pie spice.


I rolled about a tablespoon of dough into the spice and sugar mixture.  I placed the dough mounds on a cookie sheet lined with a baking mat.  


I placed the cookies about 2 inches from each other.  I 


I baked the cookies for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.  I let them cool a little on the pan before removing them to cool on a wire rack.


These were delightful  cookies.


They were soft and tender.

The cookie had a sweet, buttery flavor.  


 The tops were a little crackled.  The edges were slightly caramelized and brown.


The outside was sweet and flavorful.  The pumpkin pie spices were warm, aromatic, and enticing.


 These cookies were scrumptious and homey.


 They made a wonderful Fall treat.


 I brought them to work, and they were enjoyed by all.


No comments: