Monday, February 20, 2017

Orange Chicken


A few weeks ago, I ate dinner at an acquaintances home.  It was near Chinese New Year, and so we ate Chinese food.

We ate dumplings, stir-fried vegetables, and orange chicken.  Americanized orange chicken is often fried, but her version was not.  I decided then and there to make my own version at home.


Orange chicken is an westernized Chinese dish that is called "dried citrus peel chicken" in China.  It is from Hunan province.


The American version of this dish is similar to General Tso's chicken, another American-Chinese staple.  Wikipedia says that in the past many different types of meat were discussed as chicken and used in this dish.

This orange chicken recipe came from a blog called Nutmeg Nanny.  It is a healthier version.  Nothing is fried.


The ingredients are 2 teaspoons oil, 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon orange zest, 2 teaspoons fish sauce, 2 teaspoons grated ginger, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon cold water, and 2 teaspoons same seed.



I served the chicken on top of white rice.


I cubed the chicken into one inch squares.  I browned the chicken in the oil over medium-high heat for about eight minutes.  After eight minutes, I removed the chicken from the pan.



I combined the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, orange zest, and orange juice together.





I poured these ingredients into the skillet and let brought the sauce to a simmer.


I mixed together the cornstarch and water.  I poured the cornstarch slurry into the simmering sauce.  I let this continue to simmer until it has thickened.


I then added the sesame seeds and chicken. 


I stirred all the ingredients together and then dished myself up a hearty portion.


This dish was very light, fresh, and scrumptious.



The sauce was sweet, citrusy, and sticky.  It has a strong and delightful orange flavor.


The red pepper flakes added a subtle hint of heat.  It also had a bright tang.


 The chicken was moist and flavorful.


Overall this was a delicious and appetizing dish.  

It was savory, sweet, and toothsome.  I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up.




No comments: