Friday, March 25, 2016

Passion Fruit and Banana Muffins


Months ago I went to Walmart.  I rarely go because it's not convenient.  I ended up buying a few random items.  For example, I bought a bag of frozen passion fruit puree.  



I'm not exactly sure what I planned on doing with passion fruit puree.  It sat in the far corner of my freezer for months.  I rediscovered it recently while searching for a bag of frozen brussels sprouts and decide to make tropical inspired banana bread.

Passion fruit is native to Brazil, Paraguay, and part of Argentina.  Passion fruit is a type of berry.  It's skin is purple when mature.  The inside is soft and filled with many seeds.  The passion fruit tree's flower is the national flower of Paraguay.


There are many uses of passion fruit throughout the world.  In Brazil, people make a passion fruit mousse.  In the Dominican Republic, there is a passion fruit preserve, and a passion fruit syrup is used to top shaved ice.  In South Africa, passion fruit is used to flavor yogurt.  


For these muffins, I found a recipe for banana pumpkin bread and made many modifications.    For starters, there was no pumpkin in these muffins.  I added passion fruit pulp, dried papaya, dried mango, and macadamia nuts.  I omitted pumpkin pie spice, raisins, honey, cinnamon, and walnuts.


The ingredients for this recipe are 2 ripe bananas, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/2 cups passion fruit pulp, 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 2/12 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup dried papaya, 1/2 cup dried mango, and 1/2 cup macadamia nuts.



I added the bananas, eggs, oil, sugar, and passion fruit puree into a bowl and combined everything well.



I added the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients and stirred.


I added the vanilla, chopped papaya, chopped dried mango, and chopped macadamia nuts.

 


I portioned out the batter into a muffin pan lined with paper liners.


I baked the muffins at 350 for 30 minutes.  I let them cool a little in the pan before letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


These were good muffins.  The flavors were bright, fresh, and tropical.


The passion fruit made the muffins sweet, tart, and a little acidic.  The muffins were full of chewy and sweet dried fruit and crunchy macadamia nuts.


The texture was a little off.  The muffins stuck to the paper liners.  I think it was a sticky batter because of all the fruit.


There muffins were good.  They weren't my favorite but still enjoyable.


No comments: