Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Chinese Almond Cookies


I'm not sure these are authentic.  I lived in China for nine months, and I never ate a cookie that looked like these.  Of course, there are many Chinese cuisines that I haven't tried.  


These cookies may very well be a traditional dessert in a part of China I have never been.  It's a big country.


I made these for a pot luck dinner I attended a few weeks ago.  They are not the type of cookie I am usually drawn to.  I prefer my cookies chocolate flavored or loaded with chocolate chips.


I decided to give this recipe a try because I like almonds, and I like the simple yet elegant look of these cookies.


I'm glad I decided to take a little risk and experiment with non-chocolate based cookie recipes.  Sometimes risks pay off.  I like that think baking cookies can be risky.  I lead a calm and predicable life.


This almond cookie recipe came from all recipes.com.  I used butter instead of lard because I didn't want to buy lard.


The ingredients are 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon almond extract, and 48 almonds.  I'm not sure I used 48 almonds, but the recipe says 48 almonds.  Each cookie needs one almond.



 I added the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.




I cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembled sand.


I added the egg and almond extract.


I mixed the dough together.  It is a stiff dough.


I formed one inch round mounds of dough two inches apart on a cookie sheet.  I pressed an almond on top of each cookie and flattened the cookies out a little.


I baked the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes at 325 degrees.



I let them cook a little on the pan before removing them and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.


These were tasty cookies.  They were buttery and tender.


The texture reminded me of a shortbread.  The results may have been different if I had used lard.


The cookies were not overly sweet, but they didn't need any more sugar.  The almond flavor was pronounced and inviting.


The almond topping was nutty and crunchy.


These cookies were attractive and toothsome.


 I consider these cookies a definite kitchen success.  Everyone at the pot luck enjoyed them.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love these almond cookies! We visited China a few years a go too but I can't recall seeing them there either. They are usually sold at North American Chinese Bakeries or Chinese buffets. Yours look perfect!