Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Shakshuka


I got caught in the rain tonight on my way to my apartment.  I waited at the metro for fifteen minutes, but I eventually realized that the rain wasn't going to stop in the near future.  I didn't want to wait for an hour so I just went for it.



I was doused.  My feet sloshed in my shoes.  The edges of my library book's pages are damp and wavy.  I'm sorry pulic library.

Shakshouka is dish where eggs are poached in a tomato, pepper, and onion sauce.  People believe it originated in Tunisia.  It means "a mixture" in Tunisian Arabic.


This dish is popular in Tunisia, Libya, Algeria. Morocco, Egypt, and Israel.  It was introduced to Israel by Tunisian Jews who emigrated to Israel in the 1950s.  



Tunisian cooks often add artichoke hearts, broad beans, and potatoes to shakshuka.  It is served for breakfast and for dinner in Israel.  


Some believe it was created in the Ottoman empire and then spread throughout the Middle East and Spain.  


I have never been to the Middle East and have never eaten this in a Middle Eastern restaurant, so I'm not sure if it is authentic.  The recipe came from a blog written by Tori Avey.


The ingredients are 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 medium onion, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 medium green bell pepper, 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, 4 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper,  and 6 eggs.  You could have garnished with fresh chopped parsley.


I warmed the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat.  I added the chopped onion and sautéed it  for a few minutes.  The onions became soft.  


I added minced garlic and sautéed the onions and garlic until the garlic was fragrant.  It may have taken a minute or two.


I added the chopped bell pepper and sautéed the mixture for five to seven minutes.


I added the diced tomatoes and tomato paste.  I could have used 4 cups of diced tomatoes instead of the canned tomatoes.


I added the chili powder, cumin, paprika, a dash of cayenne, salt, and pepper.  I let this simmer for five to seven minutes.



I cracked in the eggs over the tomato mixture.  I spaced them out evenly over the tomatos.



I covered the pan with a lid and let it cook for 15 minutes.  The yolks were not runny.  I prefer runny yolks, so I wish I had cooked it for ten minutes.



This was scrumptious and savory.  It was a little spicy and aromatic.  It was a simple and comforting dish, but it was a little exotic too.


The spices were warm and inviting.    It had a subtle but welcome heat.


The tomatoes were a little acidic and sweet.  The eggs were hearty and nutrient rich.


I wish I had cooked the eggs less.  Runny yolks would have made this dish even more delicious.


It was healthy, flavorful, and appetizing.

1 comment: