Saturday, December 19, 2015

Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Bread


I'm at the Denver airport waiting for my plane.  Unfortunately, my flight has been postponed one hour.  My parents  drive over two hours to pick me up from the airport, so I feel bad making them wait.  I hope they do something fun.


This is the last recipe I made using my old camera.  The lens on my old camera wouldn't retract back inside the camera.  I tried to lightly squish the lens back.  I'm sure I made it worse and caused more damage. 




I took the camera to a repair shop near my office.  The shop attendant said they no longer fix that version.  He said fixing it would cost more than the camera is worth.  


Luckily, I already had a newer camera in my possession.  It has been a good month for me.  I have a new laptop and a new camera.  


I got this banana bread recipe from all recipes.com.  It is entitled "Banana  Banana Bread."  The recipe author must be confident of its banana flavor.



I made it peanut butter and jelly banana bread by adding peanut butter, honey roasted peanuts, peanut butter chips, and jam.  I used the rhubarb jam.  I used less butter because I added peanut butter.  I think I should have used the original amount of butter called for.  I used less sugar.  I usually do when I made banana bread, and it always turns out well.


The ingredients are 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 2 brown bananas, 1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts, and 1/2 cup jam.



I added the softened butter, peanut butter, and brown sugar to a bowl.  I creamed these ingredients together.


I stirred in the eggs and then the bananas.


I added the flour, baking soda, and salt.


I partially stirred the batter together before adding the peanuts and peanut butter chips.  I stirred the batter until there were no streaks of flour.


I added half of the batter into a nine by five inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper.  I greased the parchment paper because I'm risk averse.  I smoothed the batter out.


I added jam onto of the batter.  I spread the jam out before scooping the remaining bread batter onto of the jam.  I smoothed the batter out as gently as possible.



I baked the bread for 75 minutes at 350 degrees.  For the last 30 minutes of the baking time,  I placed tin foil ontop of the bread so that it didn't get too brown.


 I let the bread cool for a few minutes before removing it from the pan and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.


I cut myself a thick slice and dug in.


It was hearty, substantial bread.  I think it needed more liquid in the batter in the form of more banana, butter, or milk.  It wasn't dry, but it was dense.  I usually use three bananas in my banana bread, and I should have in this bread too.


The banana flavor was pretty subtle.  The peanut butter flavor overpowered the bananas.  It didn't have a overwhelming peanut butter taste though.


 

 The jam layer partially dissolves into the bread.  I could still discern it, but it was thiner than I expected.  I could have added another fourth of a cup of jam.


The jam at the edges became thick, gooey, and yummy.


The roasted nuts and peanut butter chips gave the bread texture and additional sweetness.


Despite my complaints, it was yummy bread.  I think I would make several revisions.  Peanut butter and jelly is a great pairing, and it deserves to be revisited in banana bread form.




No comments: