Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Cookie Dough Truffles


This is the second blog post I have written on my new computer.  My old laptop was a little over eight years old.  An Apple technical assistant called it a fossil.  After using my new laptop for a few days, I have to agree.


This computer is so quick.  When I start a program or download something, it is done in less than half the time as before.  I can't believe I waited so long to get a new computer.

Several years ago, I went to a bridal shower where they served cookie dough truffles.  I had never eaten anything like it before.  I'm a cookie dough fanatic so I couldn't stop myself from eating several.  They left an impression.


I have thought about making cookie dough truffles since that time, and I finally got around to doing it.  The holidays are a perfect time to make sweets.


When I make cookies, I feel a little guilty about eating the cookie dough.  I don't feel too guilty, just a twinge.  Apparently you're not supposed to eat raw eggs.  This recipe is good because the cookie dough is eggless, though raw eggs will never stop me from eating dough.  It doesn't hurt that it's encased in chocolate either.


The recipe came from Taste of Home.  I omitted the walnuts, but otherwise I made the recipe as directed.



The ingredients are 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, and 1 1/2 pounds chocolate candy coating.


I creamed the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla together.




I alternated between adding small quantities of the flour and sweetened condensed milk.  I stirred thoroughly after each addition.

 

After all of the flour and sweetened condensed milk was added, I stirred in the mini chocolate chips.


I formed the dough into golf ball sized mounds and let then cool and firm up in the refrigerator for a little over an hour.


I finely chopped the chocolate and placed the chocolate shavings into a bowl.  I microwaved the chocolate bark at 30 second intervals.  After each interval, I stirred.


I dipped the cold cookie dough balls into the melted chocolate.  I shook the excess chocolate off, and then placed the cookie dough truffles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.



I sprinkled some truffles with colorful sprinkles.  I repeated the process until all the cookie dough was  encased in chocolate.  


 I let the chocolate cool completely and harden before placing the truffles in cute stripped gift boxes.


I enjoyed making these.  It was fun to dip the truffles in chocolate and add colorful sprinkles.  It wasn't difficult or time consuming, and the outcome was cheerful and playful.


The insides of the truffles were dense, sweet, and smooth.  It was studded with yummy bit of chocolate.  It tasted just like cookie dough.  The texture was a little smoother because of the sweetened condensed milk.


The outside shell was creamy and chocolaty.  It was firmer than the soft center.  These were delicious.  What's not to like about chocolate chip cookie dough wrapped in sweet, milky chocolate?  The truffles were equal part fun and toothsome.


 

No comments: