Monday, November 16, 2015

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts and Blueberries with Thyme


This maybe one of the strangest looking recipes I have posted.  I posted an egg and date concoction that looked pretty weird too.


I got the recipe from a coworker.  She likes trying out trends in healthy eating.  She is experimenting with the paleo diet.  There is no way I could follow the paleo diet perfectly.  I'm sure I'd lose weight, but at what price?

I'm not convinced that diet is too heathy. Sure, we eat too many processed foods, but cavemen died young.


Don't let the fact that this is a diet recipe deter you from making it.  My coworker was raving about it at lunch one day so I thought I would give it a try.  I was pleased, and I think you would be too.


The ingredients for this recipe are 1 pound brussels sprouts, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 small red onion, salt, pepper, 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, and the juice of 1 lime.  Her instructions were careful to note that you should use grass-fed butter.  I'm not even sure where you can buy that. 


I melted the butter and sauteed the diced onion until the onion was brown.



I added the shredded brussels spouts and blueberries.  I added salt and pepper to taste and sautéed the brussels spouts and berries for about twenty minutes.  The sprouts soften and the berries burst and release all their juices.



I added the finely chopped thyme and the lime juice.


After giving the vegetables a stir, the dish was ready to be consumed.  


This was a delicious dish.  The blueberry flavor was very faint.  I would say it was nonexistent.  The blueberries made the overall dish a little sweet. 


The thyme was earthy and fresh.  The lime was a little acidic and tart.  


The spouts were tender and perfectly cooked.  The spouts still had some texture; mushy brussels sprouts are unpleasant.


I don't often eat purple foods, but I thought this dish was attractive.  It was savory and appetizing.  If I were you, I'd give it a try.

No comments: