Monday, November 30, 2015

Creamy Carrot Salad with Raisins


It's chilly outside.  There is no escaping it; winter has come.  I'm prepared this year.  I have new snow boots, mittens, and an array of scarves.  I want to buy a box of hand warmers, the kind you smash to activate.


The older I get, the less I enjoy winter.  At least I can be prepared with thick layers and warm feet.  

A little over a month ago, I ate at a German restaurant.  I ate schnitzel, spaetzle, and carrot salad.  There was a German woman playing an accordion for the patrons.  My friends and I requested Edelweiss from the Sound of Music.  It may not be traditional, but it is one of my favorite songs.


The salad at the German restaurant had a creamy sauce and raisins.  The spices I used were not the same as the restaurant's.   I prefer the flavor of my salad.  I also used more raisins.
   

The ingredients are 2 cups shredded carrots, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/2 tablespoon vinegar, and salt.



I added the shredded carrots and raisins to a bowl.




I added the allspice, cinnamon, greek yogurt, honey, and vinegar.  I also added a pinch of salt.



I stirred all the ingredients together thoroughly, and then it was ready.


This was a scrumptious salad.  It was sweet, tart, and creamy.


 The raisins were chewy and sweet.  The spices were festive and warm.  I really enjoyed the flavor of the allspice and cinnamon.  The spices paired well with the honey and natural sugars in the carrots.


The salad was creamy but relatively healthy.  The salad was better the day after I made it.  The flavors combined and penetrated all the components of the salad.


I enjoyed this salad and will make it again.  It was flavorful, healthy, and satisfying.

No comments: