Thursday, July 2, 2015

Mint Chocolate Cookie with Mint Candies


I'm writing this post with one hand.  I'm standing and holding my laptop with one hand.  I can't sit because the electrical outlet is far from a chair and halfway up the wall.  You can't question my commitment.

Most English speaking countries call cookies biscuits.  Americans adopted the name from the Dutch.  The dutch word is koekji.  


The Dutch brought the cookie to what is currently the United States in the 1620s when they settled New Amsterdam, now New York.


The cookie did not originate in Netherlands.  The Persians started making cookies in the 7th century AD.  I'm not sure how similar the were to our modern day cookie but they were sweet.  


The spread throughout Europe when Muslims conquered modern day Spain.  By the 14th century they were common throughout Europe.  Who knew cookies had such a history?


The original recipe came from allrecipies.com.  It's amazing.  I've made it several times.  It's rich and fudgy. I swapped the vanilla extract for mint extract.  I also used mint M and Ms instead of chocolate chips.  


The ingredients are 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon mint extract, 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and i cup mint M and Ms.



I beat the butter and sugar for a few minutes.  The butter and sugar become light and creamy.


I added the egg and mint extract and beat the mixture well.


I whisked the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.



 I added the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture and stirred until combined.


I stirred in the candies by hand so they didn't break.


I put small mounts of dough two inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.  I baked the cookies for 9 minutes at 350 degrees.


I let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the sheet before letting them cool completely on a rack.



Mint and chocolate are a perfect pair.  These cookies were decadent yet fresh.  


The texture of the cookies was fantastic.  They were chewy and dense.


The chocolate flavor was deep and rich.


 I ate several.  I would have eaten the whole batch if I hadn't taken them to a party.



If you make these, you will not regret it.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

These cookies sound fantastic! Love the chocolate and mint combo!

laura said...

Thanks! It's a wonderful combination!