Friday, May 15, 2015

Ruben Brussels Sprout Salad


Today is ride your bike to work day.  I assume it is a local government sponsored event.  They have check points along the bike trails that lead to the city.


It's pretty official; you have to preregister.  I think they are even going to hand out t-shirts.

I am going to participate even though I don't work today.  I was planning on going to the city to watch a matinee and see a new exhibit at a museum.  Why not bike and get a free t-shirt?



This recipe probably isn't everyone's cup of tea.  Some people loath brussels sprouts, and the flavors of a ruben sandwich are strong.  I adore both of those things, and thus eagerly ate this enticing salad.


In addition to the brussels spouts, it was bursting with hearty chunks of cheese and meat.  


The ingredients are 1 pound brussels sprouts, 1/3 pound pastrami, 1/3 pound swiss cheese, 1 cup sauerkraut, 1/2 cup thousand island dressing, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt to taste.


I sprinkled the brussels spouts with olive oil and salt.  I baked them for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.


While the sprouts baked, I chopping up the pastrami and swiss cheese.


I added these ingredients and the sauerkraut into a bowl.


I added the brussels spouts and thousand island dressing.


I stirred, and the salad was ready.


 I ate this salad cold but eating it warm would probably be enjoyable too.  It was toothsome and delectable.


 Each of the components improved the taste and appeal of the salad.  The sauerkraut was sharp and vinegary.


 The pastrami was peppery and had a kick. The dressing and cheese were creamy and mellowed out the other strong flavors.


I brought this salad to work in my sack lunch, but it would be great at a picnic or potluck too.  It was very satisfying and pleasurable.  Yum!

No comments: