Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Candy Bar Blondies


It rained all day today.  I like rain.  Everything smells fresh, and I appreciate that rain brings life.


My complaint is that my shoes got wet walking to work.  They still haven't completely dried.  I need a pair of galoshes.  I would prefer a pair with polka dots.

I have not always been a fan of blondies.  I compared them to brownies, and that's an unfair comparison.  It's hard to beat a brownie.  



Blondies are in a completely different category but delicious in their own way.  Like a brownie, they are dense and chewy with crispy edges.  


Unlike a brownie, they taste like caramel and brown sugar.  What's not to like about caramel and brown sugar?


This recipe came from a great blog called Simply Recipes.  It's great, and I have made other dish from the site.  I added a Snickers bar and a couple of peanut butter cups.


The ingredients are 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 cup flour, 1 regular size Snickers bar, and 2 peanut butter cups.  


I stirred the brown sugar and butter together.



I stirred in the egg and vanilla.


I added the baking soda, baking powder, flour, and salt.


I stirred the batter well.  


I chopped and added the Snickers bar.



I chopped and added the two peanut butter cups.  I used Easter themed peanut butter eggs.  I stirred the candy in gently.


I poured the batter into a greased 8 inch square pan.  I used foil too, but I don't think it's necessary.  I'm a little paranoid about stuff sticking.


I baked the blondies for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.  The bars were cool before I cut them into squares.


These were sweet, but it was a richer, deeper sweet flavor that wasn't tooth-aching.


The texture was perfect: dense, soft, and tender.


The candy chunks melted and melded into the blondies to create pockets of nougat and sweet peanut butter.  


The edges became golden and crisp in the oven.  The crunchy edges contrasted nicely with the chewy center.  It is a reliable and decadent recipe that I'll use again in the future.


No comments: