Thursday, February 5, 2015

Peanut Butter, Banana, and Chocolate Baked Oatmeal


I talked with some of my coworkers about cyber security at lunch today.  Cyber security is daunting and frightening.  I don't do enough to prevent cyber attacks.


It's counterintuitive that I'm concerned about cyber security, yet I share loads of personal information on a public blog.  I wonder if blogging increases the likelihood of cyber attacks.


One coworker said around 20 percent of people on dating sites aren't actually people looking for love but people looking to rip you off.  I think 20 percent is too high, but I'm sure there are questionable people on dating sites.



I'm going to throw caution to the wind and continue blogging.  I live a risky life.


I found this recipe while reading food blogs.  It come from A Kitchen Addition.  I like to have a filling and nourishing breakfast, and her recipe fit the bill.  



I added a half a cup of cocoa powder because I can't get enough of peanut butter and chocolate.  I also used old fashioned oats instead of quick cooking oats and chocolate instead of peanut butter chips.  Her recipe has a glaze, but I kept mine on the healthy and boring side.


The ingredients are 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, 4 tablespoons honey, 1 cup mashed bananas, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 cup chocolate chips.  


I added the peanut butter and honey into a bowl.


I added mashed bananas and eggs.


I enthusiastically stirred these ingredients together.


I stirred in the milk.


In another bowl, I added the oats, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cocoa powder.  




I stirred the dry ingredients well.


I poured the liquid ingredients into the oat mixture.


After stirring, I added the chocolate chips.  I stirred again.  All I do is stir, stir, stir.


I poured the oatmeal mixtures into a well greased 9 inch square baking pan.


I baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  I let the oatmeal sit for 10 minutes before cutting it.


I could have mashed the bananas more thoroughly.  As you can see, I had large chunks of banana.


 This was hearty and delicious.  All the flavors were present and well balanced.


It wasn't overly sweet, but I avoid regularly eating really sweet breakfasts.  You could add more honey, but I was satisfied.


It has fiber and protein but still seems like a bit of a treat, a hard balance to achieve.


I ate this for several days.  I kept it in the fridge and just microwaved a portion.  I would make this again!

No comments: