Thursday, January 15, 2015

Sausage Casserole


I experienced something new today: I was robbed.  I was less than a block from my office when it happened.  Luckily, only my wallet was taken.  I still have my phone, apartment key, and work ID.


I only had $10 in my wallet, but the culprit was able to spend some money at the liquor store with my credit card.  My bank is going to cover the fraudulent charges, which is wonderful.  I have had a string of good customer service experiences recently.

I felt anxiety and stress when I realized what had happened, but I feel okay now.  In the grand scheme, losing a wallet isn't a big deal.


In happier news, I picked up a plate I painted last week, and it looks amazing.  I was surprised at the vibrant colors and crisp, sharp lines.  I tried Burmese food for the first time, and it was delicious.  Next time I'll be a little more adventurous.  



This is the last recipe I made at home over Christmas.  The recipe comes from allrecipes, but we almost doubled the amount of sausage.



The ingredients are 1 pound sausage, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 eggs, 2 cups milk, 6 bread slices, and 8 ounces cheddar cheese.  We used almost 2 pounds of sausage.  Our sausage was strong and overwhelming.  I suggest using less potent sausage or only adding one pound.


We toasted and sliced the bread.  



We cooked the sausage in a skillet.


We added the mustard and salt into a bowl.


We added eggs into the same bowl.


We whisked the eggs.


We added the milk to the eggs.


We added the toasted bread into the bowl.


We added the grated cheese.


The last ingredient was sausage.


We stirred it all together.  It doesn't look appetizing yet.


We poured the mixture into a greased 9 by 13 inch dish.


We covered the pan and put it in the fridge overnight.  The next day we baked it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.


After 45 minutes, we lowered the temperature to 325 degrees and cooked the casserole for another 30 minutes.  My mother said it was over baked so cook it for less time.  I'm not sure how to tell when a dish like this is cooked sufficiently.


This was good.  It was warm and gooey with melted cheese.  Some of the bread chunks get brown and crunchy in the oven, which I enjoyed.


It's texture was similar to a custard but was more filling.  Our sausage was strong, and it over whelmed the dish.  I would suggest a milder sausage.


This is a great breakfast because you can make it beforehand.  You probably have most of the ingredients on hand too.


The ingredients and flavors are pretty safe, so picky eaters would enjoy it as well.



No comments: