Friday, December 12, 2014

Eggnog Pancakes


Phew! What a day! I didn't work today.  Instead, I did hours and hours of Christmas shopping at a ginormous mall.  I didn't have many gifts to buy, but I'm indecisive.  


I had no idea what I was going to get my mother.  I found two gifts for her that I'm really proud of.  I thought I would find her a random and colorful kitchen gadget, but the gifts I found are more thoughtful.

Some years I have bought my parents books that I wanted to read myself or newly released DVDs, pretty impersonal.  This could be my best gift giving year yet.  Finding a good gift can be stressful!


I ate these pancakes for breakfast this week.  I found a basic pancake recipe on allrecipes, and added eggnog instead of milk.



I have used another pancake recipe in the past, but this one is better.  The pancakes were so fluffy.


The ingredients are 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 1 1/4 cups eggnog, 1 egg, and 3 tablespoons melted butter.


I added the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a big bowl.  I whisked these ingredients together.



In another bowl, I added the melted butter, egg, and eggnog.  I whisked these ingredients together.



I poured the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.


I whisked just until there were no lumps.


I had a hot, greased skillet ready for action.  I poured in some pancake batter.


I like to use two skillets to speed the process up.


Once bubbles started to form near the center of the pancake, I flipped it and let it cook for another few minutes.


I ate my pancakes with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.  I debated making a glaze with eggnog and powdered sugar, but I felt empowered to make the "healthier" choice.


The texture of these pancakes was terrific.  They were light and airy.  I was concerned they would be dense because the batter was thick.


 This recipe could be my go-to pancake recipe from here on out.  I was really pleased with the results.


My eggnog version had a serious flaw.  The eggnog flavor was very subtle.  It was almost indiscernible.  It is funny the flavor was so slight because the pancakes had a distinct and delightful eggnog smell.


No comments: