Monday, December 8, 2014

Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake


The holiday season is in full swing!  Are you ready?  I have a couple more gifts to think about. 


 That sentence sounds like I have my life put together, but I only purchase a few presents.  I make lots of food gifts for friends and coworkers.  I don't buy all of my siblings gifts because we draw names.  Given that and the fact that I don't have any children, I only have a few people I buy gifts for.


I might end up walking around the mall of Friday for gift inspiration.  That is a dangerous plan because whenever I go shopping without a purpose, I end up buying a bunch of junk for myself I don't need.


I need to start downsizing instead of accumulating more stuff because I want to move apartments in the late spring or summer.  I plan ahead.


I had a few Oreos on hand recently and decided to make a cake with them.  I like how I often need to use junk food and decide to make something even more sweet and decadent all in the cause of being healthy.  You can't have junk food lying around. 


I got the cake recipe from a blog called Cookbook Queen.  The icing came from Ina Garten, but my version is so different than the original that I am claiming it as my own.


The ingredients for the cake are 1 box white cake mix, 1 (3.4 ounce) pack instant vanilla pudding, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sour cream, 4 eggs, and 12 Oreos.  The ingredients for the frosting are 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup milk, 2 teaspoons corn syrup, and around 1 cup powdered sugar.


I added the cake mix and instant vanilla pudding into a bowl.



I added the sour cream and eggs.



I added the water and oil.


I whisked the batter together until there were no lumps.


I chopped up the Oreo cookies and added them to the cake batter.


I stirred the Oreos into the batter and then poured the batter into a greased bundt pan.  I baked the cake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees.



After the cake cooled, I made the icing.  I warmed up the milk and then added the chocolate chips and corn syrup.


I let the chocolate sit in the milk for a bit before stirring it until there were no lumps of chocolate.  I let the chocolate and milk cool down.  It was almost room temperature.  I gradually added powdered sugar.


I added powdered sugar until the frosting reached the desired consistency.  It was around a cup of powdered sugar.


I spooned the frosting on top of the cooled bundt.  I let the frosting run down the sides of the cake.


This was a superb cake.  The cake was moist and rich.  The Oreos were pretty understated in the cake even though I added more than directed. 


The frosting was luscious and divine.  It was chocolaty, creamy, and smooth.  I ate a couple of scoops of the icing by itself, and I showed great restraint when stopping before I ate too much.


I took this to work, and my coworkers praised its texture and taste.  It would be hard to over bake this cake and make it dry.  Even though it is a moist cake, it is not dense but light and fluffy.  I give this cake two enthusiastic thumbs up!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

This cake looks great! I'm like you, I can't have junk food laying around, but Oreos are my weakness.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! I love cookies and cream; so smart to bake oreos into a cake!

laura said...

Thanks Shannon and Allie! I can't have Oreos laying around either :)