Thursday, November 6, 2014

My Aunt 's Five Bean Dip


When my extended family on my mother's side gets together, there are a few dishes that are traditional.  One dish is a trail mix that we call bird seed.  The other dish is my aunt's bean dip.  


It may not look like much, but it is probably my favorite dip.  At family events, I eat dish after dish of it.  She serves it with corn chips.


I was home over Labor Day this summer, and I ate way too much of this dip at a family barbecue.  It was gluttony at its finest.


This recipe makes lots of dip.  I brought it to a work party and a friend's birthday dinner.  It was a popular item at both events.


The ingredients are 1 red onion, 4 tomatoes, 2 green peppers, 1 15-ounce can small red beans, 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, 1 15-ounce can butter beans, 1 15-ounce can navy beans, 1 15-ounce can black beans, 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, and 24- fluid ounces Catalina dressing.  My aunt said to use six cans of any type of bean, but each can should be different.



This dish is easy to make.  I chopped up the onion, tomatoes, and green peppers and put them into a big bowl.





I drained and rinsed the five types of beans and added them to the bowl.


I added the dressing.  It seems like way to much dressing, but once you stir it together, it is the perfect bean to dressing ratio.


I stirred everything together.


After stirring, it's ready to go.  I served it with corn chips.


It makes so much dip.  I ended up needed two party size bags of chips to finish all the dip.  


This dip stores well in the fridge.  I think it tastes better after setting for a day to let the flavors meld.


 It is a fantastic dip and a family favorite.  I have many wonderful memories of family events where this dip was served and devoured.

No comments: